[CLUE-Tech] cdrecord

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Fri Dec 14 22:56:16 MST 2001

jason at matchingmoms.com wrote:

> Thanks to all of you who helped with my previous questions on installing
> modules.  I think I've got all the modules I need now, but . . .
>
> root at abigail ~/cdrw $ cdrecord -scanbus
> Cdrecord 1.9 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2000 Jörg Schilling
> cdrecord: No such file or directory. Cannot open SCSI driver.
> cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you are
> root.

I assume your CDROM is on a SCSI controller, so you don't have any ide-scsi
issues.  You can look in /dev and see if you have the right devices there -
/dev/sr0 or something like that.  Perhaps it's sg0 for cdrecord.  If you don't,
you can make them with mknod.

What do you see when the system boots (look at dmesg)?  Does it detect the
controller or CDROM?  If not, that may be a driver issue.  You can look in
/proc/pci (if it's a pci controller) to see if the controller is detected and
maybe some hints on which driver it takes.

If you don't have the right driver, you can look in the Documentation directory
in the kernel source to see what driver supports your card.  You might have to
look on google to see what chip your card uses (or try pulling the card and
look at the numbers on the chips) and then look for a driver for that chip,
rather than the card.

HTH