[CLUE-Tech] ssh2 public key authorization

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Dec 20 11:33:05 MST 2001

charles at lunarmedia.net wrote:

> I havent looked into using ssh-agent, however the server should
> authenticate using just the public key passphrase, which I have set as
> empty. The sshd man page shows that PubkeyAuthentication is default set to
> 'yes' so I dont think that any further configuration is needed there.
>
> I am not sure if ssh-agent will suit my needs. I am really just using ssh
> as the transport for rsync in my case. I'd like to automate a transfer of
> files to take place after hours. Thus, the need to find a manner of
> authentication other than passphrase.

The upside to ssh-agent is that it allows you to encrypt your private key, and
still use it without a passphrase.  The downside is that you have to enter the
passphrase when the machine boots.  Take a look at the O'Reilly SSH book (you can
get it at the library), if you have time.  They have quite a good discussion of
handling automated tasks with SSH.

> The unusual thing is that when configured for ssh1, the public key
> authentication works fine. Its only with ssh2 that the problem occurs.

Not so unusual.  ssh1 and ssh2 are separate servers and (IIRC) have separate config
files.  Make sure that public key is in the 'allowed authentication' list and that
password is not in the 'required authentication' list (both in the ssh2 server
config file).

My feeling is that OpenSSH is easier to use than SSH2, but it doesn't have quite as
many version 2 features.  FWIW.