[CLUE-Tech] XFree86 Dependency Hell

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Mar 20 09:38:21 MST 2001

Hi, Clueful people--

I would like very much to upgrade my X to version 4.02. I am running
Debian 2.2. Well, there's no xfree864.02 for my distribution, so I
thought I'd try the one from the unstable distro. Unfortunately, that
requires libc6 2.2 or above, and I really don't want to mess w/ libc6
(or can it be upgraded without breaking my whole system?).

So I thought I'd try to build the Debian source package. Well, trouble
with that is that it wants the glide package to be installed. But the
version of glide that xfree86-4 wants, in turn requires xlibs-dev,
which of course is part of xfree86.

Okay, well, I really don't care about OpenGL. I'm trying to figure out
how to build the package without it, but I don't understand Imake
files very well (why couldn't XFree86 use GNU autoconf like normal
people?? growlsnarl). Is there a single file or environment variable I
can change to disable all the OpenGL stuff? If so, can anyone tell me
what it is? If not, can you suggest which docs I should be reading
(bearing in mind that I *do not* plan to make a career of compiling
XFree86 -- hopefully will only do this once).

Any tips much appreciated.

Matt Gushee
Englewood, CO, USA