[CLUE-Tech] Your own Slashdot Discussion

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Apr 2 22:26:34 MST 2002

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 20:50:01 -0700
Jeffery Cann <fabian at jefferycann.com> wrote:

> > http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?op=user_created_index
> > For those of you who are jealous of all those 1334 'bloggers out
> > there.;-)
>
> I use Greymatter -- it's a perl script that is _way_ cool and totally
> configurable.  The nice part is that you can put it on cheap hosting
> sites that only support perl cgi programs.
>
> http://www.noahgrey.com/greysoft/

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002 20:22:57 -0700 (MST)
"Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier" <jbrockmeier at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Besides there are plenty of cheap hosting providers if anyone
> is looking to set up their own 'blog. If anyone needs help with
> TWiki or phpWebLog, let me know. I've been itching to set up
> a Scoop site too...

The question being, "How cheap is cheap", relative to other factors. I
actually spent some time on freshmeat and sourceforge a few nights ago
surveying blogware. Nearly anything with actual code released used a
database backend. Now true, trying to do it with flat files would be a
nightmare, but perhaps not for a very simple site. Regarding hosting
providers, from what I've seen, MySQL access costs a bit more. I've been
cogitating writing something that would handle a very simple
implementation - more like a journal. Because of the file permission issue
(as I understand it - using flat files), upload would still be via ftp or
scp, not web-based. I guess code could be written to get around the issue
of web-based file uploads. I just haven't gotten that far along yet.

--
Fight the CBDTPA: http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men,
 undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine