[CLUE-Tech] Some RedHat 7.2 questions

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sun Apr 7 14:12:25 MDT 2002

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Okay, I recently installed RH 7.2 at work, and I'm having issues.

I'm sorry.  RH is bad enough, but to have it and issues too--that's rough ;-)
(Couldn't resist.)

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Well, back to the old drawing board. The network connection on the RedHat
> machine went down again.  Being very frustrated (there was nothing in
> /var/log/ to indicate what might have happened), I installed FreeBSD to see
> how it might behave on said box.

If you try RH again (dual boot with BSD, maybe) when the network is down you
should try troubleshooting it some.  See what it takes to get the network back
up.  You can use ifconfig, unload and load modules, etc.  Write a script (same
box or different box) to check the network frequently and see how often it goes
down.  If you can narrow things down a little you can write logging scripts to
watch the network or processes or memory to see what causes the network to go
down.

If all that is too much trouble, you might try RH on a different box and see if
it works better.

Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> I can't get Tomcat (4.0) to listen on port 80 because it needs privs to do
> so...the server.xml file currently has the default in it, which is 8180. Has
> anyone else here used Tomcat on RH 7.2, and how did you get it to listen to
> port 80? Do I need to setuid something?

Rather than setuid, I'd start Tomcat as root.  You don't have any other choices,
really.  Setuid allows anyone to run the server on port 80, and to abuse the
fact that it runs as root.  So I think running as root is better.  Apache starts
as root and then switches to a less priviledged user (if you configure it that
way) maybe Tomcat does something similar.  If this gets run by a hosting
company, they should have a way for you to get it run the way you want.