It was APM! (Was Re: [CLUE-Tech] Some RedHat 7.2 questions)

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Mon Apr 8 13:52:44 MDT 2002

On 04-07 14:12, Dave Anselmi wrote:
> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > Okay, I recently installed RH 7.2 at work, and I'm having issues.
>
> I'm sorry.  RH is bad enough, but to have it and issues too--that's rough ;-)
> (Couldn't resist.)

I'm with you on this one.

> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > Well, back to the old drawing board. The network connection on the RedHat
> > machine went down again.  Being very frustrated (there was nothing in
> > /var/log/ to indicate what might have happened), I installed FreeBSD to see
> > how it might behave on said box.
>
> If you try RH again (dual boot with BSD, maybe) when the network is down you
> should try troubleshooting it some.  See what it takes to get the network back
> up.  You can use ifconfig, unload and load modules, etc.  Write a script (same
> box or different box) to check the network frequently and see how often it goes
> down.  If you can narrow things down a little you can write logging scripts to
> watch the network or processes or memory to see what causes the network to go
> down.
>
> If all that is too much trouble, you might try RH on a different box and see if
> it works better.

Well, right now with the budget being so tight, this wonderful machine, an HP
Vectra VL (Pentium I with 48M of RAM) is the only machine I have to work
with right now.

Well, I tried out RH 6.2, and was getting frustrated with missing pieces
that I need like, oh, ssh, and seeing how much trouble that was proving, I
thought I'd give 7.2 a go again. I installed, setup ssh, logged in remotely,
and waited. Sure enough, the connection choked after about 15-30 minutes. So
I ditty-bop over to the server, and this time I see this in
/var/log/messages (don't know why I didn't see this last time if indeed it
was there):

Apr  8 03:08:17 localhost network: Shutting down interface eth0:  succeeded
Apr  8 03:08:19 localhost apmd[693]: System Standby
Apr  7 21:12:09 localhost sysctl: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
Apr  7 21:12:09 localhost sysctl: net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
Apr  7 21:12:09 localhost sysctl: kernel.sysrq = 0
Apr  7 21:12:09 localhost network: Setting network parameters:  succeeded
Apr  7 21:12:11 localhost network: Bringing up interface lo:  succeeded
Apr  7 21:12:11 localhost kernel: 3c59x: Donald Becker and others.
www.scyld.com/network/vortex.html
Apr  7 21:12:11 localhost kernel: 00:06.0: 3Com PCI 3c905 Boomerang
100baseTx at 0xfcc0. Vers LK1.1.16
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost ifup: Determining IP information for eth0...
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register
d0.
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 1(1) current
1(1)
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   Transmit list 00000000 vs. c07ef240.
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   0: @c07ef200  length 8000024e status
8000024e
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   1: @c07ef240  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   2: @c07ef280  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   3: @c07ef2c0  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   4: @c07ef300  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   5: @c07ef340  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   6: @c07ef380  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   7: @c07ef3c0  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   8: @c07ef400  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   9: @c07ef440  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   10: @c07ef480  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   11: @c07ef4c0  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   12: @c07ef500  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   13: @c07ef540  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   14: @c07ef580  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:12 localhost kernel:   15: @c07ef5c0  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:14 localhost kernel: eth0: Host error, FIFO diagnostic register
2000.
Apr  7 21:12:14 localhost kernel: eth0: PCI bus error, bus status 00a00029
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost login(pam_unix)[8099]: session opened for user
root by LOGIN(uid=0)
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost  -- root[8099]: ROOT LOGIN ON tty1
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel: eth0: Transmit error, Tx status register
d0.
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   Flags; bus-master 1, dirty 1(1) current
1(1)
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   Transmit list 00000000 vs. c07ef240.
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   0: @c07ef200  length 8000024e status
8000024e
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   1: @c07ef240  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   2: @c07ef280  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   3: @c07ef2c0  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   4: @c07ef300  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   5: @c07ef340  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   6: @c07ef380  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   7: @c07ef3c0  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   8: @c07ef400  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   9: @c07ef440  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   10: @c07ef480  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   11: @c07ef4c0  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   12: @c07ef500  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   13: @c07ef540  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   14: @c07ef580  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:12:16 localhost kernel:   15: @c07ef5c0  length 00000000 status
00000000
Apr  7 21:14:12 localhost dhcpcd[11711]: timed out waiting for a valid DHCP
server response
Apr  7 21:14:12 localhost ifup:  failed.
Apr  7 21:14:12 localhost network: Bringing up interface eth0:  failed

At this point, I tried to start up network in a few different ways, but then
added a "killall apmd" to my rc.local, and did a shutdown -r now. Boot then
hung on eth0...I'm thinking the soft restart did not reset the card, and
the hard boot I did after that did the trick. It's been up the rest of the
day.

Any idea why APM would try to shut down a NIC? I did no
configuration on APM - anything configured would have been the default. I
can see some folks wanting their NIC to go into some kind of standby on a
laptop, but even then...

> Sean LeBlanc wrote:
>
> > I can't get Tomcat (4.0) to listen on port 80 because it needs privs to do
> > so...the server.xml file currently has the default in it, which is 8180. Has
> > anyone else here used Tomcat on RH 7.2, and how did you get it to listen to
> > port 80? Do I need to setuid something?
>
> Rather than setuid, I'd start Tomcat as root.  You don't have any other choices,
> really.  Setuid allows anyone to run the server on port 80, and to abuse the
> fact that it runs as root.  So I think running as root is better.  Apache starts
> as root and then switches to a less priviledged user (if you configure it that
> way) maybe Tomcat does something similar.  If this gets run by a hosting
> company, they should have a way for you to get it run the way you want.

Okay, and the user to run as is actually listed in the startup script for
Tomcat...missed that last week. Works like a charm, but probably not very
secure.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome