[CLUE-Tech] Apache Web Server and VB code

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Sun Apr 7 17:41:03 MDT 2002

On 04-07 16:36, Dave Anselmi wrote:
> Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
>
> > Well, I don't know of anyone looking for .NET skills just yet.
> > I don't know of anyone actually deploying anything based on
> > .NET just yet, since it's so nebulous. I really, really, really,
> > hope that this fails, or you can count on at least 1/3 of the
> > Web becoming wholly unaccessible from anything other than
> > Windows.
>
> I'm using .NET to build some web apps.  What I'm doing isn't nebulous, but not
> much different than J2EE was 2 years ago.  I don't think the windows apps
> piece is nebulous either, but the mobile device stuff certainly is (but the
> devices are just as nebulous as the apps, so what do you expect?)
>
> I really dislike .NET though, and I hope it fails too.  MS could have
> contributed something useful to the Java platform, instead they spent a lot of
> time duplicating it.  And I hate the way their tools try to do everything for
> you rather than being easily extended.  But maybe I just haven't been to
> enough classes to know how to use them.

You mean indoctrinated. :) I can vouch for that, having been to a MS user
group (c. 1997) and a few of the "free" events in the more recent
past...that, and if you've ever seen the "developers, developers,
developers" clip of Ballmer you know that MS events can be, well, a little
creepy.  At some of those events, I felt like I should be looking over my
shoulder for purple-clad, black-sneaker-wearing folks babbling about comets.
And they call UNIX people weird. If you HAVEN'T seen Ballmer's antics, see:

http://www.ntk.net/ballmer/mirrors.html

To be honest, I was a little hesitant to go to my first CLUE meeting
(actually, the cert group) because I thought I'd get more of the same, but
from the anti-MS folks. I was pleasantly surprised, but maybe I'm a bit
biased.

Back on track: the original poster was asking about VB and .NET running on
Linux. Well, if by VB, he meant ASP stuff, I think Chilisoft would meet his
needs, but I have no idea what the cost is. The other option is to maybe
crank ASP (again, if that's what he meant, and .NET is not being used at all
or only minimally) through the asp2php converter.

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome