[CLUE-Tech] Debian: gpm not installing by default

Timothy C. Klein teece at silverklein.net
Sat Apr 20 19:19:00 MDT 2002

* David Jackson (david.j.jackson at pickledbeans.com) wrote:
> Still to not install gpm by default (2.2r3) doesn't make any since??
> How do you cut/past from the command line?
>
> As far as apt-get goes, taht assumes I  have ppp up and running?
> Which I still don't on Debian? Or Slackware-8.0 for that matter.
> Which is a bit of a puzzle since it was working (same ISP) late last year.
> But it does work with Redhat? Redhat seem to use "CHAP", PAP always
> worked before with Slackware, does Debian support CHAP. My ISP (Web
> Connections) may even be using MS-CHAP? I've already fired off a email to them.
Actually, you don't need PPP, or any network connection, to use apt-get.
Just make sure that you /etc/apt/sources.list file has your CD set
included.  Something like this:

deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-3 (20000814)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-2 (20000814)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main
deb cdrom:[Debian GNU/Linux 2.2 r3 _Potato_ - Official i386 Binary-1 (20000814)]/ unstable contrib main non-US/contrib non-US/main

If that is all you have, then it won't look for anything from the 'net.
You can then use apt with your CDs, with out having to find where the
.deb is on the CD, or worry about the dependcies.

My machines always seem to have gpm after an install, but I haven't paid
attention to a default stable install in a while.  Frankly, if stable
was all there was, I wouldn't be using Debian.  It is just *way* to
dated.  OTOH, if I ran a very important server, I might appreciate that, but
I just use it for desktop stuff.  I want the bleeding edge.  Thus I
track unstable/sid.

Tim