[CLUE-Tech] Sendmail problems: I'm going nuts.

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Sat Aug 24 10:09:41 MDT 2002

On 23 Aug 2002 16:18:00 -0600
Jeremiah Stanley <lists at miah.org> wrote:

> Matt (and all), I don't mean to start a holy flame war here but I have
> to make a request to all Linux users and hobbyists.

Well, I'll try to stay away from the "roast" setting, but I'd like to
address a few things.

> Many people who have not the technical knowledge to understand the topic
> they are postulating upon find in themselves the need to soapbox to
> others. An example of this was RH's much maligned choice of compilers in
> their 7.0 release. Many of the people who take this blunder as a reason
> to slam a company in the past and the present. How many of the people
> who soapbox on this issue understand how a compiler works? Or, why that
> this mattered to people building software based on RH distribution? Just
> because you read it in a newsgroup or on Slashdot doesn't mean that it's
> a universal maxim.

FWIW, with appropriate filtration in place, Slashdot actually winds up
being a good source of much reliable information. Yeah, it's sort of like
reprocessing an old tailings pile to extract the gold and silver, but an
example of good stuff would be Rick Bero's (a RH employee -- www.bero.org)
contributions to the discussions whenever there's a RH release
announcement.

The gcc issues have been the subject of much debate, and in particular,
there have been comments made on the developers mailing list, by
developers of gcc, about it. Bero's response to that is informative. And,
those of us who aren't compiler developers end up having to just rely on
published information, and try to make informed decisions based upon our
perceptions of the expertise and reliability of the writers. When those
writers are the gcc maintainers, I tend to place a high credence on their
commentaries.

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5