[CLUE-Tech] Stump the stiffs III: Wrecked MBRs

Lynn Danielson lynnd at techangle.com
Thu Aug 29 13:52:38 MDT 2002

Mike Staver wrote:

> Use your emergency boot disk to get back to linux.  Then, edit your
> /etc/lilo.conf file to look how you want, and then run:
>
> /sbin/lilo
>
> Do it as root ofcourse, and you're problems are solved!  Yeah, I hate
> windows installers always just assuming that I want to use their damned
> NTLDR bootloader, which resides on the first partition of a windows box,
> when using NT/2k/XP that is.

That could work with Windows 9x.  But if you're going to use lilo with
NT/2K/XP, don't you need to use the NT boot loader?

According to the Linux+NT-Loader mini-howto you should:

1) Set lilo boot option to the partition of your Linux root filesystem.

2) Copy the first sector of that partition to a file, e.g.,
    dd if=/dev/hda2 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1
      or copy the boot floppy
    dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1

3) Copy that file to the Windows partition -- probably via a floppy.

4) Change the attributes of the Windows boot config file so that it can
    be edited, e.g., C:\attrib -s -r c:\boot.ini

5) Add an entry to boot.ini for Linux, e.g. the last line of this stanza

        [boot loader]
        timeout=30
        [operating systems]
        multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation ...
        multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows NT Workstation ...
        C:\BOOTSECT.LNX="Linux"

6) Reset the attributes --  C:\attrib +s +r c:\boot.ini

7) Reboot Windows and select the Linux option

Lynn