[CLUE-Tech] XFree86 4.1.0

Collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Sun Dec 8 05:56:35 MST 2002

On Sun, 8 Dec 2002 11:23:09 -0700 Randy Arabie <randy at arabie.org>
wrote:
> I'm doing some research for Santa.  He was thinking of upgrading my
> monitor, and wanted to know if one particular monitor is better than
> another.
>
> I know that xfree86config references a file that should contian info
> on some specific models, so that is where I wanted to look first.
> Running xfree86config brings up this dialog (several steps into the
> process):
>
> "If in doubt, check the monitor database
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/Monitors to see if your monitor is there."
>
> However, that file is not present on my system.  I'm running Debian
> (woody) with XFree86 4.1.0-16.  I checked the Debian Packages
> database, and I couldn't find a 'special' XFree86 Documentation
> package :(
>
> Anyone know where I could find this file?
> --

Nope.

IMHO, the only thing Santa or later versions of XFree should care
about are

1. Quality (ie ViewSonic, etc.).  A salesman told me that they get a
lot of returns on KDS monitors, for example.  Price is somewhat
related.
2. Exact specs for Horizontal and Vertical and max suported XXXXxYYYY
resolution.
3. Point size may be important in terms of readability.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
Gentoo 1.4 system