[CLUE-Tech] XFree86 4.1.0

Randy Arabie randy at arabie.org
Sun Dec 8 11:54:44 MST 2002

On Sunday,  8 December 2002 at 12:56:35 +0000, Collins <erichey2 at attbi.com> wrote:

Thanks Collins.

> Nope.
>
> IMHO, the only thing Santa or later versions of XFree should care
> about are
>
> 1. Quality (ie ViewSonic, etc.).  A salesman told me that they get a
> lot of returns on KDS monitors, for example.  Price is somewhat
> related.

As I would expect, you get what you pay for.  However, I would be
curious to know if those returns were actual "failures" or just
unsatisfied customers?

BTW, both monitors in question have 3yr warrenty, and I'm sure the
retailer would just "swap" out any bad hardware.  Santa has proposed
purchasing them local, not mail order.

> 2. Exact specs for Horizontal and Vertical and max suported XXXXxYYYY
> resolution.

Right.  I've found the specs for each monitor in question, and they are
all ranges (i.e. resolution, hsync, vsync) are supported by XFree86.

> 3. Point size may be important in terms of readability.

Is point size the same as dot pitch.  I've found that one monitors
advertises a 0.22mm dot pitch, while the other advertises 0.25mm.  I'm
gussing the smaller is better, but how much difference is there?  Would
I notice.

Keep in mind.  I'm currently using a circa 1995 Princeton Graphics 15"
(apporx. 14" viewable) VGA!  I'm sure either one of the models Santa is
considering will please my eyes.
--
Allons Rouler!

Randy