[CLUE-Tech] XFree86 4.1.0

Dave Price davep at kinaole.org
Sun Dec 8 12:51:55 MST 2002

On Sun, Dec 08, 2002 at 11:23:09AM -0700, Randy Arabie wrote:
> I'm doing some research for Santa.  He was thinking of upgrading my
> monitor, and wanted to know if one particular monitor is better than
> another.
>
> I know that xfree86config references a file that should contian info
> on some specific models, so that is where I wanted to look first.
> Running xfree86config brings up this dialog (several steps into the
> process):
>
> "If in doubt, check the monitor database /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/Monitors
> to see if your monitor is there."
>
> However, that file is not present on my system.  I'm running Debian
> (woody) with XFree86 4.1.0-16.  I checked the Debian Packages database,
> and I couldn't find a 'special' XFree86 Documentation package :(

There is an out of date monitor spec file at:

http://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/3.3.6/doc/Monitors

also see the docs at

http://www.xfree86.org/support.html

With 'modern' monitors, the video card is probably more crucial than the
monitor, as long as the monitor can handle the resolution you plan to
kick at it.

Ask to see the monitors running at windoze resolutions equivalent to
what you plan to use under X - and let your eyes be the judge.

Take a peak at the manufacturer's doc's on resoliutions supported - With
Xfree86-4, the 'dot clock stuff is not needed as often ...

here is my monitors section:

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Multisync 1530v"
	HorizSync    28.0 - 49.0
	VertRefresh  43.0 - 72.0
	Option       "DPMS"
EndSection

(numbers came from the manual - but could also be probed, are read from
a windows system driving the same monitor)

aloha,
dave