[CLUE-Tech] Win95 Client w/ Samba

Gary Threlkeld gthrelk at attbi.com
Sun Dec 15 21:55:47 MST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Randy Arabie" <randy at arabie.org>
To: "Clue Tech" <clue-tech at clue.denver.co.us>
Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 8:40 AM
Subject: [CLUE-Tech] Win95 Client w/ Samba

Randy Arabie wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a Win95 Client configuration guide.  I'm
dinking
> around with a Win95 PC, trying to get it to 'see' my Samba server.
> need to dump a bunch of files off the PC so I can wipe the hard
drive
> before upgrading it to Linux ;)

[...]

Several month's ago on the CLUE Tech board, I mentioned an online copy
of a good reference book on Samba that is still available at
www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba/chapter/book .  The book is somewhat out
of date with regard to new Samba features/options but Chapter 9 offers
some good troubleshooting tips.

One problem that you might encounter is that the defaults for Win95 is
non-encrypted passwords whereas Win98 used encrypted passwords.  I
don't think your necessarily experiencing this problem as yet but be
aware of the potential issue as per Chapter 6 of the online book
referenced above.

> As you can see above, the client [192.168.1.8] is sending the
requests
> out over the broadcast address [192.168.1.255], not directly to the
> samba box.  I have configured the TCP/IP properties on the Win95 box
> use WINS, and put the samba box in as the WINS server.  Is that
correct?

Can't help you much here ... I use my Samba machine as a Primary
Domain Controller to validate Win98 logins to my network.  I have all
machines marked in the same workgroup as per Dave's email and use
security = user in my Samba smb.conf file.  I chose to disable WINS
for my MS Win98 machines and hard-assign IP addresses to machines
(updating the C:\Windows\hosts and the /etc/hosts files) so I don't
run into problems matching a machine name to an IP address.

Gary Threlkeld