[CLUE-Tech] CD Burner for Linux, which one will Santa bring?

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Mon Dec 23 11:28:56 MST 2002

Kevin Cullis wrote:
[...]
> Based on Dave Anselmi's comment a while back about buffer problems, I
> take it that the larger the buffer is better when actually burning the
> CDs.  I've also read that once you begin to burn the CD, it's best not
> to touch or do anything else as it might cause the reading/writing to
> hick-up and you'll have to start over.

Back when, if the buffer underran the laser went off.  Since the CD
wasn't finished you got a coaster.

Burn proof (or whatever trademark people use for it) allows the writer
to start writing again--there's a small gap but it accounts for that
somehow and finishes the CD.  I think you'll find that CDRs aren't made
with large buffers anymore because it isn't as big a deal.