[CLUE-Tech] Clue: Database

Dave Hahn dhahn at techangle.com
Fri Feb 1 19:40:55 MST 2002

PosgreSQL is also the 'standard' DB for distros like RedHat.  Although
MySQL can be found, PostgreSQL is making better inroads...

However, I use MySQL.  I've found it to be faster than PostgreSQL on the
databases I run.  (Typically simple and not large data sets - sub
100,000 records.)

Many of the 'missing' functions Jason mentions are present in the new
MySQL 4.0 which should be out of testing soon.  I do sorely miss
sub-selects in the current 3.x.x versions.

I don't know how PosgreSQL handles replication, but the master-slave
binlog relationship in MySQL works well for this and has become more
'automagical' in the 4.0 series.

I expect to hear Grant weighing in soon and reminding me that 'real men
use PostgreSQL'.   ;-)

-Dave