[CLUE-Tech] Clue: Database

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Fri Feb 1 22:21:28 MST 2002

Richard,

It really depends on what you wish to store in the database.

Postgres has more features that are equivalent to Oracle / DB2 / Sybase /
MS-SQL.  Their goal is to produce a database that is equivalent in features
and speed with 'commerical' RDBMS.  Thus far, they have succeeded in the
standard features.

MySQL differs from PG because their stated goals (according to their manual)
is SQL support and speed.  Yes, they will have transactions finally but there
are other features, such as referential integrity (i.e., Foreign Keys) that
(again according to their manual) will never be implemented because it
violates the 'speed' rule.

So, you have to ask yourself a few questions:

1.  How important is the data in my database?
2.  To what level will I normalize the entities in my database?
3.  How much of your data integrity do you want to protect using the database?

If your data is extremely valuable, I would recommend PG because it has much
better error recovery and it the transactions and FK constraints allow you to
guarantee that data will not be lost.

If you wish to normalize your data at all, then MySQL will not help with
referential constraints.  It does not support hooking tables together using
Foreign Keys.  This means it is up to you (the application programmer) to
enforce data relationships.  In my 7 years of building database applications,
this is always a Bad Idea (tm).  There are many reasons this model fails, but
to sum it up:  the database is much better than programmers at enforcing
integrity rules.

However, if you want a FAST flat-file database that supports SQL (which IMHO)
is much easier for data retrieveal than ISAM, the definetely use MySQL.

Jeff