[CLUE-Tech] My transition

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Feb 27 20:58:05 MST 2002

Mike Staver wrote:

[...]

> 3) An app that works similar to Visual Source Safe - that allows me to
> open an MS Visual Source Safe 6.0 database.  That is our code
> repository, and it is vital that am able to access this.

While installing VSS recently, it seemed to me that there was a non-windows
client included.  I'll look at work tomorrow.  Since CVS is reportedly
better, use it - it is certainly adequate to your needs.  If you need the
VSS history and can't figure out how to convert it (I'm sure perl could do
it if you wanted it to), you might keep a windows box around to read the
history when you need it.  It should become less important as time goes on
after you switch.

VMWare was mentioned.  An alternative would be to set up one Linux machine
and one Windows machine.  You can use a kvm switch to go back and forth.
You can also pull one's desktop over to the other using X or VNC (depending
which way you're going).  XFree86 for cygwin is easy to make go though I
haven't got past twm on it yet.