[CLUE-Tech] sendmail & qpopper

Dave Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Feb 27 21:28:10 MST 2002

Randy Arabie wrote:

> Based on respnse rate (0%), I take it that nobody on  the
> list is familiar with Qualcomm's qpopper.  However, I don't
> think my problem is with qpopper, but with my portmapper config.
>
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Randy Arabie wrote:
>
> > About my qpopper config:
> >
> >       2) I added these two lines to /etc/hosts.allow
> >               popper: .arabie.org
> >               popper: 192.168.1.*
>
> I can see w/ nmap scans that port 110 is not open.  Portmapper
> manages this service, right?  And the above addition to hosts.allow
> should make popper available, correct?

I think portmapper is something else entirely, related to rpc and
perhaps nfs.  Nothing at all to do with pop3.

Your cast of characters is iptables/chains, tcpwrappers, xinetd,
qpopper.  Everything you present seems reasonable, though I'm not
familiar with details of syntax.  It seems odd to me to pass qpopper as
an argument to popper from xinetd, but it works locally so maybe it's
just wierd.

Sorry I can't be more specific.