[CLUE-Tech] NAT'ing DSL recommendations?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at attbi.com
Tue Jan 1 10:51:32 MST 2002

On 12-18 00:39, Frank Whiteley wrote:
> 1.  The Intel2100 is CAP enabled.  You can proably find a C675 and let it do
> the NATing.  In the Windoze world, there is an XP driver for the 2100 but no
> Linux driver I'm aware of.  AFAIK, the C675 cannot do DMT.
> 2.  The Intel2200 is DMT enabled.  You will have some trouble finding a C678
> since all new Qwest DSL is DMT(The C678 can also do CAP).  There is neither
> a Linux nor XP driver for the 2200 at this point, so don't let your non-tech
> friends consume blindly.
> 3.  MSN model is proprietary to MSN.  Abandon all hope to enter there.
>
> So, find out if your friends' DSL is CAP or DMT, then seek out the
> appropriate Cisco.  I recommend you don't let them wait to be involuntarily
> MSN-adopted (Jan 22?).  Seek other options now.

Thanks for the heads-up about MSN - I was reading the FAQ on the changeover
just now, and they say transition will occur sometime between Aug and Jan
2002. Have other areas been transitioned already? Is this going to be the
typical MS thing - less interoperability? I remember something on Slashdot
back in late summer/early fall about MSN users being forced to use Outlook
for "security reasons" - which to anyone who knows anything, is one of the
funniest statements in the computer industry...they don't call it LookOut
for nothing. :)

I doubt these folks will want to fuss with going to another ISP, but in case
they do, any recommendations?

--
Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at attbi.com Yahoo:seanleblancathome
ICQ:138565743 MSN:seanleblancathome AIM:sleblancathome