[CLUE-Tech] CLUE: DSL - PCISYS

bof bof at pcisys.net
Tue Jul 2 17:49:42 MDT 2002

Richard Knechtel wrote:

> Anyone having better luck with other DSL ISP's ?
> 1) Good uptimes.
> 2) good speed.
> 3) Linux friendly.
> 4) Static IP's.

Based upon previous experience, AmericanISP (www.americanisp.net) did a
fairly good job, but I got tired of having to type so much every time I
gave out my e-mail address <g> and I had problems with them blocking me
at certain times of day (they later, after I left, said this was an
error on the part of their service).  A static IP is part of their
$18/month price, but they didn't discount if you took a long-term
contract with them when I used them. One or two of their guys knew
Linux, or used it at home.

I've also heard good things about frii.net
(http://www.frii.net/services/qwestdsl.html), but I personally don't
like their "charge by the megabyte/extra mailbox" pricing policies.
 IIRC from when I was shopping for a new ISP last year, they don't
support Linux.

And I've also heard good things about techangle (www.techangle.com) but
I can't tell from their web page if they still offer DSL service or not,
but the wireless sounds attractive. I know they use Linux, and they have
come and talked at CLUE. They (used to?) provide the hosting for CLUE

I guess in final analysis, you pays your money and takes your chances.
If you choose wrong, it's ONLY $30 to Qwest to change providers <g>.

BOF