[CLUE-Tech] CLUE: DSL - PCISYS

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Jul 2 18:56:00 MDT 2002

Richard Knechtel wrote:
> Does anyone else have DSL with PCI Systems?
>
> Since Friday I have had SERIOUS issues with my DSL.  Sending/receiving
> emails takes forever, trying to browse web pages is god awful slow! And
> forget trying to use Usenet newsgroups!  I am down to 56K modems speeds
> or less on my 256K DSL line.  I have contcted PCI twice via email and
> called them twice. They don't seem to have a clue! (no pun intended).  I
> am wondering if anyone else is using PCI for their DSL and having
> problems as well. Or is it just me???

I assume your getting slow connections to many different places so you
know it's your end.  If you can hit someplace you know is unloaded (like
work after hours) that may help troubleshoot.

Here are some things you can try to see what the problem is.

Use nslookup to check dns.  The first request may be slow, but repeating
it should return quickly.

Use ping to see if any packets get dropped.

Use traceroute to see if there are any very slow hops.  If there are
some close to you, it's likely to be your ISP.

Use ethereal or tcpdump to look at the packets.  A lot of
retransmissions indicate network problems.

I'm no expert at network analysis, but maybe you'll find something that
jumps out at you.