[CLUE-Tech] Moving files from one system to another

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Jul 17 19:35:48 MDT 2002

bof wrote:
> I have about 6 GB of files on one system that I would like to move to
> another. Both systems have ethernet cards and I have a crossover cable.
>
> What would be the easiest way to do this?

Here are 3 options:

- package them into an archive, send it (ftp or whatever), unpack

- use a network aware copy program that does recursive copies (scp, rcp,
wget, rsync)

- mount the destination filesystem over the network (smb, nfs, probably
others--afs?)

Which is easiest depends on what's installed, what can be installed, and
what you know how to use.

What have you thought of so far?  Probably that will be fine, but we'll
speak up if it's really silly. :-)