[CLUE-Tech] Testing Network Performance?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Sun Jun 2 07:32:32 MDT 2002

On Sat, Jun 01, 2002 at 10:16:53PM -0600, Jeffery Cann wrote:
>So, I am looking for recommendations for command-line tools that folks have
>used.  I would like run test of my network performance (really, only the

I find "mtr" (Matt's Traceroute) to be useful.  It gives you a regularly
updated list of the latency for each hop of your net connection.  Often
when I'm seeing lag, it'll show me that the next hop going out from my
cable modem has over 4 seconds of latency on it.

I also have MRTG set up to monitor and graph the network utilization of
that line -- the cable modem is connected to a managed switch.  That way I
can tell if something is swamping the outbound bandwidth.  Over about
10KB/sec of traffic going out, and the line becomes totally unusable.

Sean
--
 It would be interesting to be a squirel.  They have the cute outfits...  The
 right kind can fly...  -- Evelyn Mitchell, 1998