Solved (was Re: [CLUE-Tech] Debian package build problem)

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Wed Jun 5 14:30:00 MDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 11:29:33AM -0600, Crawford Rainwater wrote:

> Just an odd first question before going onto further thoughts,
> are both machines identical in builds and packages before this
> happened?

Nope. In fact the crucial difference turned out to be the installed
version of 'dpkg-dev', which includes the dpkg-buildpackage command
and such. The box where it worked had v1.8.3.1, whereas the other
box had, I think, 1.6.15 --or whichever one is standard for potato.

I was unable to install the latest version of dpgk-dev (1.9.something),
but I happened to still have the source packages for 1.8.3.1, so I
built that, upgraded dpkg-dev, and the build problem with vim went
away. Maybe some day I'll learn how all this stuff actually works.

> There is an apt-get function that will list the current
> packages on the machine

Unfortunately I don't use apt-get. I tend to have a lot of customized
stuff, and I haven't figured out how to configure apt-get to meet my
needs. Also, on the problem machine, I'm running XFree86 4.1, which
I installed from the unofficial binary packages. Ever since I did that,
dselect (so I presume apt-get too) has tagged all other packes on my
system as Obsolete, so I don't dare use it any more. I just install
everything with dpkg.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion!

--
Matt Gushee