[CLUE-Tech] Red Hat 7.3 upgrade - /usr partition too small

Paul Bille Paul at eBille.cudenver.edu
Fri Jun 28 10:54:42 MDT 2002

I'm in the process of upgrading to from RedHat7.0 Guiness to RedHat7.3
Valhalla. After scanning for the packages to upgrade, I get a message to
the effect
	/usr partition is too small, need 550+ mb

Can I re-partition the primary master without loosing all the data on
the drive?

It's a dual boot system with LINUX and Windows installed on the master
10gb drive partitioned as follows: Primary Master 10GB
	hda1 	2048mb 	/dos
	hda2 	  104mb 	/
	hda3 	  104mb 	LINUX swap
	hda5 	1542mb 	/usr
	hda7 	   54mb 	/var
	hda8 	6063mb 	/home

There is a 1.6GB slave with Windows data and an unused Win operating
system: Secondary Slave 1.6GB
	hdb1 	1584mb 	Win FAT32

I have a /usr partition with 1.5GB that is only %72 utilized with RH 7.0
but apparently RH 7.3 needs > 2GB. I wonder if I'll be able to
re-partition to take some of the space from /home and use it for /usr
without loosing all the data in /usr.

I'd like to preserve the LINUX system configuration information as well
as the Windows installation on the primary master, hence I prefer to do
a LINUX upgrade rather than a clean install.

Anyone been down this road?

Thanks,
Paul
http://bille.cudenver.edu/author/