[CLUE-Tech] Re:Problems with FTP

Shapiro, Gary L gary.l.shapiro at lmco.com
Wed Mar 27 14:26:08 MST 2002

I checked the Linux message log, and did find out the cause for the
connection lockout. I am running an application (in C++) on the two
computers that requires sending files between the two machines. The
application on the NT end was sending an FTP to the Linux box in a loop
searching for a file that would signal the NT that the Linux box was ready
to transfer files needed by the NT. The loop was flooding the FTP service
and causing an automatic 10 minute shutdown. I cured the problem by
obtaining an ftp demon for the NT so that I could directly transfer the
signal file from the Linux box to the NT and the NT only had to wait for the
file before proceeding. I still haven't been able to determine the reason
for the hang on the "put" but I have been able to work around it by sending
the file to another UNIX box on which the Linux directory has been mounted
as NFS. I intend to try replacing this double transfer with a "get" from the
Linux box now that I have the ftp demon installed.

Thanks to all who replied.

Gary Shapiro
Lockheed Martin Space Systems/Astronautics Operations
Denver, Colorado