[CLUE-Tech] NTFS mount locks up

Tim Harris tdharris at usa.com
Thu Mar 28 09:51:30 MST 2002

I started using Linux a couple of months ago.  I didn't want to stop using
Win2k right away so I installed Linux (Redhat 7.2) on seperate physical drive
and used the NT boot loader to dual boot. I wanted to be able to access my
NTFS, so I soon noticed that Redhat's default kernel doesn't include NTFS
support. I recompiled the kernel to include NTFS read only access. The first
time I mounted the NTFS drive I was able to browse it using "ls" and "cd".
When I tried to "ls" a folder that was set up as a share on my Win2k network
the computer locked up as tight as a drum and I had to a cold boot. Anyone
else have this experience? It probably has something to do with the share
rights in Win2k? But I thought someone could shed some light on this. I heard
that Redhat's kernels are highly patched and may have some incompatibilities
with NTFS. (No wonder they don't include the NTFS module by default). I
earlier had Mandrake 7.0 on my computer and could browse NTFS drives without
any problems. If this newbie question is off topic, please point me to where
I might find more info about this.

Tim Harris