[CLUE-Tech] Bul k Email Question

Jeffery Cann fabian at jefferycann.com
Sat Oct 19 10:08:08 MDT 2002

On Saturday 19 October 2002 02:06 am, David Guntner wrote:
> Jeffery Cann grabbed a keyboard and wrote:
> > I have created a PHP email form for a newbie to send out a bulk email to
> > their list of email addresses in their database (don't worry, it's
> > opt-in).
>
> You have confirmed this, how?

Why this is relevant to the question about my php problem is interesting, but
if you must know...

I wrote their entire application, including the forms where folks have to
submit their contact information, including the email address.

I know the number of contacts in their database is too small to be useful for
a spammer (~1000 records).  In fact, I had to import all of the original
records into MySQL from Excel spreadsheets.

Finally, I am opposed 100% to unsolicited email or advertising and my
conscience would never allow me to work either directly or indirectly on a
'spammer' application.  For example, I asked our CLUE Speaker Liason (Lynn
Danielson) to schedule next month's topic on SpamAssassin.

The reason I brought up the email form and used the term 'bulk' is because it
is part of the problem diagnosis -- the form does not have problems when I
send a small subset of data.  The problem occurs when I send email everyone
in the database.

> Why not simply set up a nice mailing list for him?  Mailman is a really
> nice package that is easy to set up, and gives the list members a web-based
> interface (they can also issue commands via E-Mail if they want) for
> managing their list membership options, etc.

Yes, it would have been simple to set up an email list for her.
Unfortunately, there are other features of the application that are required
but mailman cannot do, such as topical and geographical searches.

So, do you have any suggestions on the php question?

Later
--
    Planet Earth (tm)
http://jefferycann.com/