[CLUE-Tech] Access to ATT Cable systems?

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Tue Oct 22 07:56:48 MDT 2002

Dave Price wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I am trying to set up remote access into an att broadband system.
 >
 > The system appears to have ip address of: 12.254.89.67

Curious that you aren't sure...

[...]
 > However, I cannnot traceroute or ping to this address - nor can I use
 > PC-Anywhere (the desired application) to connect to a host at this
 > address.

If those tools fail, you might try netcat:

(http://www.atstake.com/research/tools/#network_utilities)

You can set up to listen on one side and send from the other (even using
the PC-Anywhere ports).  Try it both directions and if the packets don't
go through, well you're out of luck.

Here's a hypothesis.  This 12.254... machine is behind a box that does
NAT.  As I understand it, this would be a firewall or one of these
"cable/dsl routers" that combine a switch and a router and plug into the
cable modem.  In that case (typical for a SOHO network) the machine can
see the outside, but the outside can't see in unless you set up DNAT (as
Rusty calls it, also called port forwarding or PAT or somesuch).

If you can't change the NAT setup, you'll have to initiate all
connections from the attbi side.