[CLUE-Tech] Moving existing MBOX client file into Postfix on Linux

Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier jbrockmeier at dissociatedpress.net
Tue Sep 3 17:58:45 MDT 2002

> I have a weird question.  I have converted a few thousand messages of mail
> from Outlook Express downloaded on a Windows client to MBOX format.  Also I
> have recently installed Mandrake 8.2 on a machine.

I've heard weirder. :)

> My question is: How can I transfer these MBOX email messages from the client
> to the Postfix "inbox" on my Mandrake machine?  My ultimate goal is to run
> PROCMAIL against these messages to filter out some spam and delete duplicate
> messages (this is "backwards" or "reverse" processing of email, I know.)

IIRC you can run procmail against the file directly, you might need
to process through formail to split into separate emails then pipe
the output to procmail. I've done it before, but it's been a long,
long time.

> I have the Mandrake system installed but have no idea whether this scenario is
> possible, or how to go about it.

I think you'd use "formail -s < mbox | procmail" -- but I haven't
actually tested that. To be extra safe, be sure to make an extra copy
of the mailbox, just in case. So long as you have the procmail filters
set up correctly, it should zip all the mail into the desired folders
or into your inbox for any mails that do not match a particular rule.

Good luck, hope that works for you.

Zonker
Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier -=- jbrockmeier at dissociatedpress.net
http://www.DissociatedPress.net/
ymessenger: jbrockmeier / AIM: ZonkerJoe