[CLUE-Tech] Linux compatible camcorder

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Sep 24 14:27:18 MDT 2002

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:34:11 -0700 (MST)
grant <grant at amadensor.com> wrote:

> I do this.  I use dvgrab.  Once you have the kernel modules loaded, it
> is very easy.  Start dvgrab, telling it a file name, then press play on
> the camcorder.  As far as one being controlable by the PC for this, I
> don't have any idea.  dvgrab seems to not say anything about the model
> or brand of camcorder.  I have both Linux and Windows on the machine I
> use for DV capture.  Under Windows, I get the BSOD as soon as I plug the
> camera into the firewire.  Under Linux, the capture works flawlessly.
> In fact, DV capture is the once reason that the machine is dual boot.

Well, that's good to hear. Last I read about it, firewire support under
linux was "iffy", or unstable. I'm guessing we have the SANE folks to
thank for this?

> #!/usr/bin/perl
> print $i=pack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);

You know, a perl generator for producing one-liner [T|F]LA scripts would
be cool. Would be niftier, err, more 1334 than just perl -e "print
'lol';". Although, I'd wonder some about the folks with the time and
inclination to figure such things out. ;-)

jed
--
We're frogs who are getting boiled in a pot full of single-character
morphemes, and we don't notice. - Larry Wall; Perl6, Apocalypse 5