[CLUE-Tech] Could it be the Hard Drive?

Newell, Glen glen.newell at ccd.edu
Tue Aug 26 21:48:32 MDT 2003

Gary said-

> but if you just tried to stick in another OS and install I'll confess that
> have had
> problems with that idea when changing OS's.
>
> Need to low-level format the drive using the hard drive vendor's program
and
> then
> try again with your OS of choice - obviously LINUX.
>
> Gary

Michael-

Don't give up on the disk just yet-

I won't go into why going from 98 to NT on the same disk is a bad idea...

Low Level format is probably  not necessary here. HOWEVER- I think a plain
old re-format is in order before giving up on the disk. I've had this
problem before and it's always been either that or a bios issue. Granted,
it's POSSIBLE that a low-level format will cure it, but that's a
time-consuming (and risky, for the inexperienced). The disk sounds pretty
new, but *big* , which indicates to me that maybe it was well-thrashed. a
complete reformat ought to do it.

You need to run fdisk- obliterate the partition scheme, set up a couple
partitions manually, and format them all. RH7.2/3 supports ext3, and that's
great, but it doesn't matter, since someone installing linux the first time
will most likely go with the automatic partitioning option (which is nice ,
by the way) which will set up the default partitions for you and format
them.

I have also had the problem you describe ( the last part, that is) when the
disks I was installing from were dirty or scratched, or there wasn't *quite*
enough room on the disk.

then again, maybe.....