[CLUE-Tech] Loging off as a user, recovering from a GUI crash

Kevin Cullis kevincu at orci.com
Sun Dec 14 14:20:39 MST 2003

Hey all,

When some bad things happen to my CPU, like the GUI freezes and I use
the CNTL-ALT-F3 to get into the non-GUI area to fix things (and the
ALT-F7 to get back), I sometimes want to just "kill" the user and get to
the logon screen. So,

1. What process do I kill or what would I do as root to not have to
reboot the machine but just get back to SUSE's or other distro's logon
screen?
2. If I wanted to restart an app from root or a term window, what
process would I go through to restart it/them?
3. Where would I find a listing of the apps that I can start from a term
window?

Any other suggestions would be helpful.

Kevin