[CLUE-Tech] FTP and Windows

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Jan 15 14:24:17 MST 2003

Sean LeBlanc wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a friend running an FTP server, and it's using Windows. This has
> happened before (a different friend, also running ftp on Windows), and I was
> never able to get it working under FreeBSD or Linux. For commandline ftp, I
> don't even get a login prompt unless I use ftp -p. If I do that, I can log
> in, but cannot execute an ls or a put...the operations time out.

Sounds like the network is blocking you somewhere, but maybe not.  Is
there any sort of firewall/filtering on the Win box?  Is there any kind
of authentication requirement?  Maybe it only supports some sort of
"built into Windows" authentication.

Ethereal is your friend.  Use it on both ends of the connection if you
can, and definately compare what the *nix client sends to the W98
client.  (For small differences in a long trace, it may be helpful to
use tcpdump output and diff, but you'd have to blank all the expected
differences (IP, timestamp, etc.).  I haven't run into a situation that
required that yet.)