[CLUE-Tech] CD burning

Bruce Ediger eballen1 at qwest.net
Wed Jan 29 11:13:59 MST 2003

On Wed, 29 Jan 2003, Sean LeBlanc wrote:

> Is there a recommended set of options folks use for mkisofs? And do you
> usually create the ISO and then mount it (I've never done this and don't
> know how) before you burn it?

Here's what I used to burn a CD on a SuSE 8.0 system:

mkisofs -frvJL -o old_machines.iso $PWD/iso
nice --18 cdrecord -eject -v speed=2 dev=0,0,0 -data -pad old_machines.iso

The "iso" subdirectory had a set of files and directories built up to
come to about 630 MB, which is what I recalled being the limit for CD-ROM
disks to hold.

I really have no idea if any of the flags or options are necessary.  That's
just what worked for me.

I did not know you could "mount" a regular file that contained a filesystem
image, so I did not do that.  I figured that the CD-R blanks cost just a
few pennies, so why not just burn-n-try?