[CLUE-Tech] Cannot complete java installation

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Thu Jan 30 16:59:44 MST 2003

Vern Bradley Southern wrote:
> Problem Solved, Yeah...
>
> First, Thanks to all for your help.
>
> I was able to add netscape to the path using export instead of setenv.
> The command lind syntax was export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> /usr/local/netscape:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> While using a Terminal command line I never could get regxpcom to work.
> I had the same problem trying to use a Terminal command line to make a
> link to the java plugin. I can't seem to grasp the unix syntax needed to
> do these things.

Probably regxpcom was not in your path.  Type "echo $PATH" and you will
see your path.  If the regxpcom file is not in one of those directories
you have to type the full path to it (like "./regxpcom" if it is in the
current directory).

> I did finally discovered that while using the RedHat 8.0 GUI and being
> logged-in as root I could right click on the plugin
> /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so and a drop
> down menu appered. One of the options was (Make link) I clicked on the
> option and a link was created in that same directory. I right clicked
> the newly made link and selected (Cut file) and then moved to
> /usr/local/netscape/plugins and right clicked on an empty area in the
> screen and selected (Paste file). When I opened netscape and typed
> about:plugins in the address field I found the java plugins.

Ugh.  The command line is:

ln -s /usr/java/j2re1.4.1_01/plugin/i386/ns610/libjavaplugin_oji.so
/usr/local/netscape/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

(I don't know how that will wrap, it should all be one line.)