[CLUE-Tech] Linux for mom

Glen Newell glen.newell at ccd.edu
Tue Jul 15 12:35:07 MDT 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kirk Rafferty" <kirk at fpcc.net>

  To her, it's just "the computer."  Which is really how it
> ought to be.
>
> Maybe I'll set up User-mode Linux with RH and Mandrake, and she can just
> choose which one she wants to run.  Hmmm...maybe not...
>
> -k

True that.
RH9 is REALLY a desktop OS...that seems to bet he way they went...there is
ALOT of stuff in there (maybe too much, but thats another topic) for the
desktop user ( I can finally now completly do away with my windows
dependencies...)

OR...someone suggested libranet- which I haven't worked with, but it seems
to be quickly gaining a rep for being the thing for 'newbie' and other
potentially high-maintenance users ( I keep hearing about it being used alot
in schools, for example)

I'm interested partly because I'm trying to move my own mom into this
century- I have her on a win2k box now and even that is proving to be alot
for her to learn. I was tempted to put her in a Mandrake or Red Hat ( I even
toyed with the idea of building my own distro around BSD or Slack or
something reaallly stable like that, but decided against it, just in case
any of this takes and she figures out how to do her own support....god
forbid...)