[CLUE-Tech] Stops crashing

Stephen Lehr slehr at hypermall.net
Mon Jul 21 20:34:29 MDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 09:59, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-21 at 08:33, Stephen Lehr wrote:
> > I'd been running a download version of Red Hat 8.0 on my homemade Athlon
> > 1600+ machine for several months, with no real problems.
> >
> > Dissatisfied with peace, I downloaded RH 9.0 and tried the upgrade.  I
> > neither added nor deleted any packages.  The installation putted along
> > for awhile and then locked up.
>
> Did you check your logfiles after the events to see if you could
> pinpoint the problem? Perhaps there were some indications in your XFree
> log or other logs?

I looked at assorted logs in /var/logs but admit I'm not sure I looked
in XFree86.1.log, which might be the one you mean.  Since I had to
reboot, would that show anything?

I could see the window I had open but could not get a console in order
to go about killing processes.

> > 	Anyone else see this behavior?
> > 	If the Evolution package caused this, how could it?
>
> I'm running RH9 on one of my machines, and I haven't had similar
> problems. However, the default Mozilla install was somewhat buggy, IIRC,
> and I had to grab a new version... Evolution didn't present any serious
> problems.
>
> I avoid updating between versions like the plague, and prefer to do
> fresh installs. This goes for RH, SuSE, Mandrake, Slackware, et al.

This is the first time I've upgraded, as opposed to a fresh install.  If
Linux is to be considered industrial, that ought to work.