[CLUE-Tech] GPL loopholes

Michael Riversong mriversong at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 22 02:08:41 MDT 2003

 From someone who uses Linux in education, here's another take on this
whole thing.  I've had the experience of installing a really crummy
unsupported distro (Corel 1.0 -- all we could afford at the time), and
having it used by elementary students who really didn't give a hang what
OS they were running.  My more artistic students really love GIMP, and
several of the boys are addicted to the games that came with RH 7.3.
Ultimately, it always comes down to that final user interface, and
several of my students really enjoy Linux only for that reason.  And
several don't.  Of course, when I force a student to make an effort to
learn something, there's often resistance, but you'll find that with any
subject, so I don't worry about it.

BTW in case anyone is wondering, this is my legal name, since 1979.  I
usually can't make the meetings, but if anyone would like to meet me, I
will be in Observatory Park tomorrow (Wednesday) at 5:00, playing harp
for a bunch of homeschoolers, and would like to invite any CLUE list
members to join us just for fun.

On Monday, July 21, 2003, at 02:53 PM, Joe 'Zonker' Brockmeier wrote:

> Basically, what many users seem to want is an MS clone they don't have
> to pay for or put any effort into learning and they want it now and
> whatever they don't understand, and are unwilling to look up, they
> expect current users to hold their hand and/or do most of their
> configuration for them. In short: Everything, free, now, no
> responsibility, no learning, no thinking. Gimme.

Michael Riversong
http://home.earthlink.net/~mriversong
The Pure River Project: featuring free Celtic harp and other gentle MP3s
and radical ideas about music and culture