UNSUBSCRIBE YOURSELF, was [CLUE-Tech] Please Unsubscribe

Matt Gushee mgushee at havenrock.com
Tue Jun 10 16:43:08 MDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 10, 2003 at 02:52:40PM -0400, Randy Arabie wrote:

> 5.  I don't think the anyone over-reacted.  While the first request was
> met with a rather blunt response, I wouldn't consider it rude.  And,
> IMO the responses to the second request were "earned".

Randy, you are a gentleman and a scholar. But I think some of us did
overreact. I was unnecessarily sarcastic, which is not like me (except
in political debates, which are a whole different ball game). Maybe I
was having a bad day. But since that's all I ever seem to have anymore,
maybe I should just get used to it.

I also thought Jef B's thing about wondering whether he wants to be
associated with us was a bit over the top. I mean, look, most of us know
each other to a greater or lesser extent, and we should all know better
than to judge anyone by one or two e-mails. David Willson may have
written an all-caps subject line, but I know he's a nice guy. One or two
people (no names today ;-) may have put forth some really lame arguments
in the Great Iraq Debates, but it doesn't mean they're idiots. I got a
bit sharp with our unsubscriber, but if you were to look at all my
mailing list posts over the last few years, you would see that I have
consistently advocated the be-nice-to-newbies approach, and usually
practiced what I preached.

The point is, this is an e-mail discussion group, and sometimes people
say things they shouldn't. It happens. But not much here. In my two
years on the CLUE lists, I have never seen an honest-to-goodness flame
war, and with very few exceptions the discussions are mature,
good-natured, and informative. So, I apologize for my unnecessary
bluntness. Now let's all just calm down, shall we?

mgushee at havenrock.com           its fields;
                            Horses bear soldiers through
                                its streets.

                            --Lao Tzu (Peter Merel, trans.)