[CLUE-Tech] Poor Man's Ghost / Knoppix CD

Dale K. Hawkins dhawkins at cdrgts.com
Tue Jun 17 10:56:40 MDT 2003

Joe Linux <joelinux at earthlink.net> writes:

> Do you change it with the Knoppix CD or what?  I need to be able to
> change with Knoppix, not the old system, because it is the old system
> that is "frozen" so to speak.  In otherwords, I can't boot the old
> system due to problems with the "fstab" file in the first place.  At
> least that is my assumption.

Boot the Knoppix CD.  Change the file /etc/fstab WRT the filesystem
you need to modify.  Just use the defaults (but be sure to get the
filesystem type correct).

For example:

/dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb1 ext3 defaults 0 0

This will change the file in the memory filesystem, aka ramdisk (i.e.,
not a permanent change).  Then hdb1 can be mounted and modified as
needed.