[CLUE-Tech] I think I got an error - (ALSA Install)

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Wed Mar 12 19:10:21 MST 2003

Joe Linux wrote:
> Okay, I think I got an error.  Is it in fact an error?  Please note even
> though this says "root at Knoppix," it's actually on a Mandrake 9.1 box and
> the "root at Knoppix," stuff is a DHCP artifact.  All of this points up the
> need at least in my mind for a novice install fest on how to install
> programs  downloaded from the internet which are more or less generic to
> all Linux distrubutions.

Alsa isn't exactly a novice install topic since it involves kernel
drivers.  Their instructions are pretty good, but it helps if you know
how kernel compiles work and are building your own kernel (so you know
what's in it).

Does mandrake have any alsa rpms?  That would be the preferred way to
install it, I think.  There seem to be a number of ways to package
drivers, since their install is a little more complex than regular
programs.  But if there's an rpm, try it.  Then look for docs in it that
tell you what else may have to be done.

If you already have the sb, sound, and soundcore modules Knoppix is
using I would try those before alsa.