[CLUE-Tech] swap partition

David Anselmi anselmi at americanisp.net
Sat May 3 21:28:25 MDT 2003

Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> I have my swap partition as a primary partition, but I have been doing
> some repartitioning and I would now like to put it into an extended
> partition.  How do I create a new swap partition on my existing
> installation?

A primary partition is one of the first 4 (e.g. hda1 - hda4).  A logical
partition is one after the first 4.  An extended partition is a primary
partition that contains logical partitions.  It makes no difference what
you put in the various partitions, just which number they get.  Try to
be consistent how you lay things out so you don't confuse yourself.

1) make a partition

2) run mkswap on that partition

3) add the partition to your fstab and/or run the swapon command