[CLUE-Tech] Suse questions

Kevin Lane kevin.lane at comcast.net
Thu Apr 15 17:26:30 MDT 2004

There are two things you can do.

1. install the updatedb package
    That will give you the same functionality as on RH

2. use command line tools, although not as quick as the
    updatedb (because updatedb keeps the data in a data file)

a typical command line string would be:

sudo find / -name <filename> -print

on linux the -print is optional, I tend to put it in there as other
Unix variants do not automatically use the -print option.
You can also use wildcards in the <filename>, and also double-quotes
for special circumstances.

sudo find / -name "some file*" -print

use: man find
to get more information. The find command is VERY powerful and
can do much more than just print out the full path of the file it finds!

Kevin Lane