[CLUE-Tech] Suse questions

Mike Staver staver at fimble.com
Mon Apr 19 13:46:37 MDT 2004

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. I ended up installing the
findutils-locate package, and that gave me the use of updatedb and
locate again, so I'm happy.

About the time issue - instead of using rdate, I did some research on
xntp as suggested, and I am now using that.  I ended up setting up a
cron job like this:

MAILTO=""
0 03 * * * /etc/init.d/xntpd restart
MAILTO=""
0 03 * * * /sbin/clock -w

I have no idea if I need to restart xntpd once a day, but I find that if
I don't sync up my servers daily, they drift a lot.  I don't understand
how a computer clock can drift so much, but I have on server that gets
off by 5 minutes or more a day!  If left unchecked, it becomes a huge
problem. I'm starting to think the motherboard is defective...

--

                                 -Mike Staver
                                  staver at fimble.com
                                  mstaver at globaltaxnetwork.com