[CLUE-Tech] upgrading and downgrading redhat and fedora

mike havlicek mhavlicek1 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 18 22:50:18 MDT 2004

Hello,

I have been doing some testing between redhat and
fedora releases. I am trying to decide with the EOL
schedules of the releases, which is best to put into
production.

It looks like for the particular client sticking with
rh9 is my best bet. I was hoping to do a base install
of fedora core2 and go from there.

The problem(s) I think I am running into is too many
changes and unresolved incompatibilities with the
kernel, libs, and filesystems to start.

Number one, the handling of lvm is different between
fedora core2 and redhat. I use ext3 on logical
volumes, but the e2fsadm tool is gone in fedora 2.
Also the device layout has changed evidently with the
2.6 kernel versus the 2.4.

Also in doing an upgrade some of my old packages were
not upgraded and just don't work anymore. EG pine.

So I decided that this upgrade was too bleeding edge.
Then how to downgrade ?

I rsync'd what I thought was critical into a backup
area on another machine on my net. /etc, /home, /root,

and some other areas.