[CLUE-Tech] Earthlink DSL

qqq1one at yahoo.com qqq1one at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 12:19:26 MST 2004

Based upon the descriptions of all the 3341 models Netopia lists, it
seems to be a 3341-ELK.  The web page for it is here
http://netopia.com/support/resources/option_3341elk.html, and it says:

  The 3341-ELK ADSL Gateway has been provided to you by EarthLink. By
  special arrangement with EarthLink all technical services will be
  provided by EarthLink directly.

  EarthLink Consumer ADSL Contact Information:
  1-888-829-8466
  http://support.earthlink.net

I browsed the 200+ page user manual for the 3300 series, but I wonder
how much of it applies, given that the 3341-ELK model is unique to
Earthlink.

The only enable/disable options in the web interface are to either
enable all of DHCP/NAT/PPPoE or disable all of it.

There's also a button to force that selection.  RVPI/RVCI Settings can
also be changed, as well as DNS info.  And that's it.

The two computers are currently a Linux box and a WinXP laptop.  The
laptop is out of town for the next 3 days.

However, the Linux box returns:

$ route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
172.16.0.0      *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0
eth0
169.254.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U     0      0        0
eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
lo
default         172.16.0.254    0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
eth0

I don't think I have a switch plugged into the DSL modem - it's a hub
(3COM OfficeConnect Dual Speed Hub 8), and a dumb as far as
I can tell.  The uplink/normal switch is currently in the uplink
(pressed-in) position and the DSL modem is plugged into port 8 right
next to the uplink/normal switch.  The position of the uplink/normal
switch doesn't seem to make a difference as long as I have the DSL
modem plugged into port 8.  If I swap it with my Linux box ethernet
cable, then the switch has to be in the "normal" (not-pressed-in)
position or no traffic will go through.

I didn't opt for the static IP.  Earthlink wants an extra $15 (a month,
if I remember correctly) for static IP, and I don't think
I need one (no website).

I appreciate the help provided.  If anyone can see a way though this
without my having to drop Earthlink and incur cancellation charges, I'd
certainly appreciate it.  Otherwise, I think I'll have to live with it
for 12 months and then switch to some other service.