[clue-tech] Big Shock in FC3 Today

Timothy Klein teece at silverklein.net
Tue Dec 28 01:11:06 MST 2004

On Dec 27, 2004, at 8:51 PM, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> I'm talking about major changes, such as reconfiguring the Galeon
> toolbar.
> And importing bookmarks. The bookmarks I imported to Galeon and Mozilla
> under KDE were gone when I fired them up under Fvwm. None of which
> should
> have anything to do with a saved session either.
>
> Also, font preferences (not desktop settings -- but in Mozilla
> preferences) weren't preserved either.

I avoid the hideousness that is Fvwm like the plague ;-) so my
experience with it is only enough to let me know I did not like it.
But, I have used numerous window managers, and I have never seen
anything like what you describe.  I know KDE -- changing preferences
writes changes to the config files in your .kde directory.  That stuff
is persistent, and mostly independent of WM.  I  guess Fvwm could be
doing this on purpose, but it really sounds like a bug to me.

I have used Konqueror, pan, and Firefox/Mozilla and numerous other
applications across various WMs, like KDE, Blackbox, Fluxbox,
Enlightenment, XFCE, and whatever Apple's window manager is (and on
different architectures, like Cygwin or Darwin), and have always had
application changes like you describe remain persistent.

I can't really offer any help, but I'd be surprised if what you
describe was *not* a bug.

Tim
Timothy Klein: tecce at silverklein.net
Vanity Page: http://tinyurl.com/vkhp