[clue-tech] Big Shock in FC3 Today

Jed S. Baer thag at frii.com
Tue Dec 28 11:13:54 MST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004 01:07:07 -0700
Timothy Klein wrote:

> On Dec 27, 2004, at 8:51 PM, Jed S. Baer wrote:
> > I'm talking about major changes, such as reconfiguring the Galeon
> > toolbar.
> > And importing bookmarks. The bookmarks I imported to Galeon and
> > Mozilla under KDE were gone when I fired them up under Fvwm. None of
> > which should
> > have anything to do with a saved session either.
> >
> > Also, font preferences (not desktop settings -- but in Mozilla
> > preferences) weren't preserved either.
>
> I avoid the hideousness that is Fvwm like the plague ;-)

Heresy! :) Fvwm is the ONE. And there can by only ONE!

> But, I have used numerous window managers, and I have never seen
> anything like what you describe.  I know KDE -- changing preferences
> writes changes to the config files in your .kde directory.  That stuff
> is persistent, and mostly independent of WM.  I  guess Fvwm could be
> doing this on purpose, but it really sounds like a bug to me.

Well, could be. But if so, it's a particularly strange one, because it
would have to get in the way of fopen("bookmarks file"), and I've never
seen a preference setting for "store my bookmarks someplace else"). It
just blows my mind.

And Fvwm doesn't even try to be an "application environment". It's a
window manager, nothing else. Yes, it has add-on modules for icon
management and stuff like that, but it has no facility for influencing
application behavior -- except for doing nifty things like ignoring
certain annoying window hinting if you tell it to.

> I can't really offer any help, but I'd be surprised if what you
> describe was *not* a bug.

And really dastardly one at that.

jed
--
http://s88369986.onlinehome.us/freedomsight/
Key fingerprint = B027 FEFB 4281 CC72 67D1  4237 F2D0 D356 077A A30E